About Campus, a publication produced by ACPA, was launched in 1996 and six times each year offers thoughtful and accessible content focused on enhancing the college student learning experience. This search will conclude with the appointment of the sixth Executive Editor (EE) for About Campus. The first Executive Editor was Dr. Charles Schroeder, at that time VP Student Affairs at the University of Missouri-Columbia, followed by Dr. Patricia King, University of Michigan, then Dr. Marcia Baxter-Magolda of Miami University of Ohio, Dr. Jean Henscheid of Portland State University and, currently, Dr. Frank Shushok, Jr. of Virginia Tech. The role of the EE is to ensure the timely development and delivery of six issues per year of the magazine in conjunction with editors from ACPA and the publisher. The hosting institution of the editor is expected to support the work of the Executive Editor (EE) through administrative support, as well as adequate release time to accomplish the task. The editorial budget, provided by ACPA, covers administrative costs of the magazine production. See detailed job description below.
If you are interested, please submit a letter of interest, a curriculum vita, and an example of your scholarly work that reflects your personal interest and proficiency in writing on or before October 20, 2017. The term of the next Executive Editor (EE) will be July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2023. Transition to the role begins on January 1, 2018. Submit your materials electronically to Tricia Fechter Gates, ACPA Deputy Executive Director at email@example.com.
Executive Editor of About Campus
- Serves as primary administrative and conceptual leader for the publication.
- Leads efforts of all editorial staff, including Department Editors, members of the Board of Contributors, and Editorial Assistants.
- Retains final decision making authority on all aspects of the publication.
- Manages publication editorial budget, hires, trains, and supervises Editorial Assistants, appoints and oversees work of volunteer department editors.
- Works with institution hosting central editorial office to establish and maintain annually renewable contract with ACPA and the publisher.
- Works closely with Managing Editor and other staff at the publisher to insure that quality results are consistently achieved.
- Identifies, in consultation with others, major topics (as well as potential authors) of interest to the readership.
- Communicates with authors and prospective authors as needed to assure the flow of high quality manuscripts from general idea to published manuscript. Serves as department editor of the publication’s features section.
- In conjunction with ACPA and the publisher, advocates marketing and promotional strategies for expanding the subscription base.
- In consultation with volunteer staff and personnel at ACPA and the publisher, develops a long-range strategic plan for the publication.
- Author’s Letter to the Editor section of each issue of the publication.
- Is the publication’s liaison to the ACPA leadership, particularly the Director of Research and Scholarship.
- Submits annual report to ACPA International Office, association volunteer leadership, and board of contributors documenting all publication’s activities.
- Participates in ACPA publication editors’ meetings and co-presents ACPA conference workshops on publishing with the association.
- Periodically assesses subscriber perceptions concerning various facets of the publication.
- Forges and maintains relationships with higher education leaders in related professional associations (AACU, AERA, etc.).
- Provides input to the RFP process with publishers
Updated July 2017