ACPA invites applications for the Editor of the Journal of College Student Development (JCSD). The Editor will be named in mid-2019 to a five-year term that commences July 1, 2020. The Journal is well-supported financially by both ACPA and the publisher with an operational budget and funding for a graduate assistant. Some support is also required of the Editor’s institution including physical space and technological infrastructure for the journal operation.
Basic responsibilities include:
- Ensure that JCSD is published six (6) times/year;
- Oversee all aspects of the manuscript review and selection process;
- Work with The Johns Hopkins University Press staff members and contractors (such as copy editors, layout editor) to ensure timely distribution of each issue;
- Hire and supervise Editorial Office staff;
- Recruit and appoint Editorial Board members and Associate Editors as needed to manage the journal ;
- Maintain & update the JCSD website and social media in coordination with the ACPA International Office staff;
- Respond to JCSD inquiries;
- Prepare and submit yearly JCSD budget and manuscript flow reports to the ACPA Executive Director and Audit & Finance Committee as requested;
- Communicate with ACPA International Office staff on JCSD-related issues as they arise; and
- Represent JCSD at relevant conventions and conferences.
Application materials should include:
- Letter of Interest. In your letter, please address the following questions:
- Why are you are interested in the position?
- What specific knowledge, skills, and experiences will you bring to this position?
- What is your vision for the Journal of College Student Development?
- Any other information you deem pertinent to help us understand your unique qualifications and motivation for this position.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and e-mail addresses for two references
The Editor of JCSD is a key leadership role in ACPA as this premier journal is a central signature of our association and is one of the four core journals of higher education as a field of study. JCSD is the leading refereed journal focusing on the study of college students and the student experience. JCSD is published six times a year by The Johns Hopkins University Press and has been selected for inclusion in the Social Science Citation Index (SSCI). JCSD receives more than 550 manuscript submissions per year and has a current acceptance rate of about 7%. We are excited for a leading scholar to continue the exemplary tradition and practices of current and prior editors.
The successful candidate will:
- Have earned senior rank at their institution of higher education
- Have extensive experience in generating scholarship in higher education and student affairs including publishing regularly in comparable journals
- Have experience serving on editorial boards for comparable journals
- Possess a commitment to equity and inclusion;
- Hold a reasonable understanding of the complexities of multiple kinds of research
Application materials may be sent via e-mail by May 20, 2019 to Tricia Fechter Gates, Deputy Executive Director at email@example.com.
Inquiries regarding the position may be made to Debora Liddell, current Editor at Debora-Liddell@uiowa.edu.