The bill being considered:
- Amends the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity among the prohibited categories of discrimination or segregation in places of public accommodation.
- Authorizes the Department of Justice (DOJ) to bring a civil action if it receives a complaint from an individual who claims discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Prohibits programs receiving federal funds from denying benefits or discriminating against LGBT people
- Prohibits employers from discriminating against LGBT people in terms of hiring and firing employees
- Amends the Fair Housing Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act and jury selection standards to prohibit discrimination against LGBT people
- Prohibits individuals from being denied access to gender-based facilities, such as bathrooms or locker rooms, that is in accordance with their gender identity