Commission for Housing and Residential Life
Mission and Purpose
Residence halls are one of the primary settings for student development programs in colleges and universities. The Commission for Housing and Residential Life (CHRL) is one of the largest of ACPA's commissions and actively involves its members in meeting seven major objectives:
- To provide leadership to ACPA and the profession in general for student development in college residence halls.
- To identify issues of special concern and advise colleagues regarding these concerns through the support of research efforts, survey information, reports, position papers, and task force investigations.
- To communicate innovative ideas, special issues, problem resolution, and research information with a broad base of individuals throughout the country who are involved in residence education.
- To maintain a working relationship with other professional organizations, student associations, and other commissions, divisions, and agencies within ACPA that maintain similar or overlapping objectives.
- To cultivate professional development experiences through sponsoring and implementing convention programs and regional workshops.
- To assist in developing a set of professional standards for staff working in residence halls.
- To develop a plan and a process for evaluating the work and leadership of the Commission.
The voices of our membership are important. Join the discussion on our blog, Commission Conversations: http://acpahousing.wordpress.com/. Share with us your thoughts, feelings, good news and good ideas. We welcome your voices as we explore the challenges and triumphs of our colleagues in housing and residential life. And once you've explored that opportunity, please check out other opportunities to get involved with the association.
You can also follow us on Twitter: @ACPA_CHRL
Directorate Body Leadership 2017-2018
- Chair: Laura Arroyo, University of Colorado - Boulder
- Past Chair: Troy Seppelt, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
- Vice Chair: Claire Semer, Bowling Green State University
- Vice Chair: Brandin Howard, University of Vermont
- Vice Chair: Mohamad Saab, The Ohio State University
- Vice Chair: Ann Schafer, University of Oklahoma
- MarQuita Barker, Elon University
- Marquis L. Bennett, SUNY-Morrisville
- Rachel Collier, UNC School of the Arts
- Devin Budhram, New York University
- Bianca Hicks, University of Akron
- Amy Howard, Maryville University
- Shetina Jones
- Steven Knepp, Millersville University
- Jessica Prodoehl, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
- Tim Reardanz, Bowling Green State University
- Dennis Scott, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Jess Shapiro, Ithaca College
- Douglas Stoves, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Join the Commision for Housing and Residence Life in the great city of Houston! Registration is open now!
ACPA General Elections
ACPA general elections are now open! Visit the ACPA Elections Slate Web page to view the candidates and click on their name to view their bios. After reviewing all eligible candidates, please click here to submit your ballot. Voting in all ACPA elections is a critical part of your membership and your commitment to the association. Cast your ballot today. Elections will remain open until Friday, December 8th. Refer to the email sent out by ACPA Past-President Donna Lee for more details.
ACPA Commission Nominations
Nominations for the CHRL directorate board are now being accepted. To nominate yourself or a colleague, please click here.
ACPA Commission for Housing and Residence Life Award Nominations
CHRL gives prestigious national recognition each year for a variety of residential programs, services and people within residence life and across the nation. Keeping with the ACPA strategic imperative, our goal this year is to seek award acknowledgement and representation from a wide array of colleges and universities across the nation, to help make awards accessible and available to all. Please consider nominating a deserving program or person today. To learn more about our awards, click the "Commission for Housing and Residence Life Awards" link below. To nominate a deserving colleague, please visit: https://tinyurl.com/CHRLAwards.