Commission for Housing and Residential Life
Mission and Purpose
Residence halls are one of the primary settings for student development programs in colleges and universities. The Commission for Housing and Residential Life (CHRL) is one of the largest of ACPA's commissions and actively involves its members in meeting seven major objectives:
- To provide leadership to ACPA and the profession in general for student development in college residence halls.
- To identify issues of special concern and advise colleagues regarding these concerns through the support of research efforts, survey information, reports, position papers, and task force investigations.
- To communicate innovative ideas, special issues, problem resolution, and research information with a broad base of individuals throughout the country who are involved in residence education.
- To maintain a working relationship with other professional organizations, student associations, and other commissions, divisions, and agencies within ACPA that maintain similar or overlapping objectives.
- To cultivate professional development experiences through sponsoring and implementing convention programs and regional workshops.
- To assist in developing a set of professional standards for staff working in residence halls.
- To develop a plan and a process for evaluating the work and leadership of the Commission.
The voices of our membership are important. Join the discussion on our blog, Commission Conversations: http://acpahousing.wordpress.com/. Share with us your thoughts, feelings, good news and good ideas. We welcome your voices as we explore the challenges and triumphs of our colleagues in housing and residential life. And once you've explored that opportunity, please check out other opportunities to get involved with the association.
You can also follow us on Twitter: @ACPA_CHRL
Directorate Body Leadership 2016-2017
- Chair: Troy Seppelt
- Vice Chair: Megan Wyett
- Vice Chair: Nathan Winters
- Vice Chair: Catherine Kellman
- Vice Chair: Ali Guokas
- Past Chair: Amy Franklin-Craft
- Chair Elect: Laura Arroyo
Directorate Body Leadership 2017-2018
Congratulations to our newly elected team! See you in Columbus!
Claire Semer, Vice-Chair
Nathan Winters, Vice-Chair
Mohamad Saab, Vice-Chair
Ann Schafer, Vice-Chair
CHRL Sponsored Programs ACPA Convention 2017
Transformative Residential Curricula: Lessons Learned Over 10 Years
Monday, March 27th 9:30-10:30am
Convention Center B131
Hilary Lichterman, University of South Carolina; Kathleen Kerr, University of Delaware
Keith Edwards, Speaker, Consultant & Coach
Activating the Potential for Bystander Intervention on Campus
Mon. March 27th, 12:45-1:45pm
Convention Center C162aa
Laura S. Dahl, Ohio State University; Marc A. Lo, New York University; Ethan Youngerman, New York University
Chris Stipeck, New York University
Good Housekeeping: Housing Experiences Matter to LGBTQ College Student Success
Mon. March 27th, 3:45-4:45pm
Convention Center B231
Amanda L. Mollet, University of Iowa; Jodi Linley, University of Iowa; Molly Elizalde, University of Iowa
Liza Hurley, University of Iowa; Joshua Holmes, University of Iowa; Paula Kinney, University of Central Florida
Alex Waad, University of Iowa; Kari Weaver, University of Iowa; Kristen Renn Michigan State University
(Re)imagining Theory-to-Practice in Residential Education
Tue. March 28th, 10am-12:15pm
Convention Center B234
Brian L. McGowan, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro; Philip Badaszewski, University of Pittsburgh
MarQuita Barker, Elon University; Reginald Blockett, Indiana University; Arian Bryant, University of Central Florida
Kelly Hennessy, The College of New Jersey
Living Environments and Student Engagement: Research Findings and Implications
Tue. March 28th, 4:45-5:45pm
Convention Center A124
Polly Graham, Indiana University-Bloomington; Sarah Hurtado, Indiana University-Bloomington
Robert Gonyea, Indiana University-Bloomington
2016 CHRL Highlights
2016 Residential Curriculum Institute
Sunday, October 16, 2016 - Wednesday, October 19, 2016
CHRL Sponsored Webinars
Tuesday, Sep 13 2:00pm - 3:00 pm EDT CHRL Series: Islamophobia (Co-sponsored by Commissions for Social Justice Educators and Spirituality, Faith, Religion and Meaning)
Thursday, Oct 20 1:00pm - 2:00pm EDT CHRL Series: Programming is Out and Relationships are In
Friday, Oct 28 1:00pm - 2:00pm EDT CHRL Series: Social Integration of Sorority Women Living in Residence Halls