Mission and Purpose
In congruence with ACPA’s strategic goals (knowledge & competencies, professional & career development, membership & recruitment), CRA will capitalize on the unique strengths of ACPA to achieve the following objectives and outcomes:
- To focus on student learning and development— create professional development opportunities that will assist professionals to:
- Understand the impact of participation in recreational sports and athletics on students; and to value the unique issues and concerns of students in association with their specific context of experience (recreation or athletics) through the lens of student learning and development.
- Articulate specific areas of knowledge and competencies that serve as student learning outcomes as a result of experience in programs and services in recreation and athletics.
- Understand and use assessment methods appropriate in determining the manner and degree to which learning and development has occurred.
- To focus on creation and dissemination of knowledge— contribute to existing ACPA publications/materials and develop additional professional development publications/materials and opportunities that:
- Add to the existing body of knowledge on topics relevant to campus recreation and athletics.
- Convey the unique contributions of a student affairs perspective to the appropriate bodies of knowledge on campus recreation and athletics.
- Facilitate and encourage professional’s examination of the bodies of knowledge on campus recreation in support of informed and effective practice.
- To focus on the development of professional competencies paired with career advancement— assist in the articulation of the knowledge and skills needed by student affairs professionals who serve in or address issues in campus recreation and/or athletics:
- As areas of skill and knowledge are defined, such definition will be utilized as a curricular foundation and rationale for programs, services, publications, and other forms of professional development offered by TFRA to ACPA members and student affairs professionals.
- Endorsements of specified knowledge and skills will be secured from relevant professional associations and relevant groups (NIRSA, NCAA, etc.)
- Quality professional and career development opportunities will be provided, year-round, that appeal to scholars and practitioners at every career level, including professional preparation
Download the Operating Documents for the Commission for Recreation and Athletics (CRA) (PDF) (as of September 10, 2010).
Each year, the CRA also creates an Action Plan, which includes annual goals and objectives with relation to ACPA’s strategic plan. The Action Plan is also in congruence with planning for the ACPA annual conference and defined strategic issues in campus recreation and intercollegiate athletics.