A protégé is a graduate student or professional who wishes to establish a meaningful relationship with another professional with the goal of receiving feedback, guidance, and suggestions on professional development.
A protégé can expect to:
- To contact their mentor and communicate twice a month during the cohort period;
- To reflect about what you are looking for through the mentoring cohort experience
- A safe environment to ask field-related questions for personal and professional development;
- To take responsibility for structuring a preliminary list of discussion points regarding their needs.
- Receive guidance from a mentor on these skills and knowledge;
- Utilize the ACPA Professional Competency Rubrics to identify areas in which the protégé wishes assistance from the mentor and the degree to which specific areas may be pertinent to a current or future;
- Provide and be open to feedback;
- Contact mentor if unable to connect for a scheduled meeting in a timely manner; and
- Evaluate the relationship throughout the process in consultation with their mentor Should correspondence between your mentor cease or if you have any concerns surrounding communication with your mentor, please notify the program coordinator for assistance and support.
A protégé should not expect to:
- Depend on their mentor for initiation of all communication following the initial contact;
- Rely on their mentor to provide and/or offer all topics of conversation;
- Be the sole initiator of contact and conversation in the mentoring relationship;
- Have a mentor who will do his or her work;
- Rely on their mentor to offer guidance and support on personal problems;
- Use mentoring as a vehicle through which to focus solely on difficulties with a supervisor; or
- Use the mentor in place of additional professional development activities. Mentoring is a complement to ongoing professional development undertaken by the protégé. Mentoring conversations may assist the protégé in selecting specific professional development opportunities aligned with protégé goals.
Protégé To Do List
- Complete interest form
- Read protégé /mentor expectations information
- Create list of expectations and needs for mentor based on self-assessment of professional competencies
- Feel free to share resume, ask for a critique, or focus conversations on your career development
- Finalize details of the mentoring relationship
- Complete an evaluation of the program upon completion