Each year, at the Annual ACPA Convention, our Commission engages in a variety of activities including:
- Hosting an International Colloquium - an extended professional development experience (either hosted as a pre-convention session or a series of sessions during the actual convention) focused on a topic of interest to our membership. Learn more about the upcoming as well as past international colloquiums here.
- Bringing Commission members as well as ACPA members from around the world together at the Global Reception for an evening of socializing and networking.
- Sponsoring a set of programming sessions that address topics related to the global dimensions of student development.
- Discussing the current status and the future of our commission with members and those interested in becoming more involved at our Open Meeting.
- Sharing who we are as a Commission and what we do at CelebrACPA.
Meetings and Receptions
CGDSD events at Convention provide opportunities for delegates to network and learn about issues and topics related to international education, global student affairs and services, and emerging best practices. The CGDSD is proud to co-sponsor ACPA's Welcome Reception for international delegates at Convention, now known as the "Global Reception".
Are you interested in learning more about the Commission? Please visit our table at CelebrACPA (right after the Opening Speaker). Meet current Directorate members, find out about sponsored programs and events, and learn about leadership opportunities within the Commission. It's time to take your next step toward greater involvement with the Commission. Please join us.
Join the Commission for Global Dimensions of Student Development to connect with members of our association from around the globe. This reception is intended to bring together international members of ACPA; foreign-born professionals working in the U.S.; professionals working with study abroad, international students, or international education initiatives; and anyone interested in the global and international aspects of our profession. All are welcome! Light refreshments will be served.
Join us to engage in conversations on current issues in higher education with ACPA members from around the globe and learn more about the Commission for Global Dimensions of Student Development. The Commission for Global Dimensions of Student Development brings together ACPA members from all functional areas interested in cross-cultural learning, development of intercultural competencies, internationalization, and student services around the world. Our Commission also serves as a home for international members, including ACPA members living and working outside of the United States as well as foreign-born ACPA members living and working in the United States.
For more information about CGDSD meetings and receptions at Convention please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ever year, CGDSD sponsors a number of programs at the Annual Convention. Programs address a broad range of international and global issues in post-secondary education. In the section below, you will be able to:
- Find out more about Sponsored Programs at the ACPA 2020 Convention in Nashville.
- Learn about how to submit a program for sponsorship.
- Get involved in the commission by serving as a program reviewer.
More information coming in January 2020.
We encourage professionals at all levels and from all countries to consider submitting a program proposal for sponsorship.
For example, if your work and your interests are related to:
- The practice(s) of student affairs world globally,
- Education abroad and/or international student programs,
- Examples of intercultural competence development (at home) initiatives, or
- Ideas and discussions on working with diverse populations of students
...you should consider submitting a program proposal for sponsorship!
Why Submit a Sponsored Program?
A sponsored program receives additional visibility among existing members of the Commission. Sponsored programs also get greater promotion to all conference attendees though dedicated and additional spaces in the conference program and web promotion.
Submitting a Sponsored Program for ACPA 2020 in Nashville
To have your program considered for sponsorship:
- Submit a program proposal on the Convention 2020 Website by Friday, Sept. 6, 2019:
- When asked, select "Commission for Global Dimensions of Student Development" as an option for sponsorship.
If your proposal covers multiple areas (e.g. career planning for international students) you can indicate co-sponsorship (by selecting CGDSD and another Commission or Coalition).
The co-sponsored option means we can sponsor more great work as it only counts as 0.5 of our 5 allotted spots. Remember, proposals not selected for sponsorship will remain in consideration in the general program review!
Commission members volunteer to review all program proposals submitted to the CGDSD for Sponsorship each summer/early Fall. If you are interested in serving as a Reviewer or would like more information, please contact the Commission at email@example.com.