Approximately half of ACPA members currently identify as entry-level professionals, and 40% have less than five years of experience in student affairs work. ACPA created the Phyllis L. Mable New Professionals Institute to address the knowledge and skills emerging professionals desire as they collectively serve thousands of students on a daily basis.
This institute is named in honor of Ms. Mable, a highly respected educator and leader in student affairs for the past four decades. She served as Vice President for Student Affairs at Longwood University (Virginia), and Executive Director of the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education. Phyllis Mable served as ACPA President from 1979-80.
This institute will include several mentoring opportunities and one-on-one interactions with resident faculty and small group facilitators. Institute participation is limited to 50 participants.
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
- Curriculum is focused on identifying and discussing the complexities facing our work on college campuses.
- Highly interactive learning environment using presentations, case studies, discussions, and small group work with institute faculty.
- Sessions dedicated to skill enhancement in the following areas.
- Understanding campus cultures - external and internal influences
- Finding your place within your organization
- Having the difficult conversations
- Being a supervisee and supervisor
- Identifying additional needed knowledge and skill areas
- Giving and receiving effective feedback and performance appraisals
- Thinking about future career possibilities
- Participating in on-going professional development opportunities
- The attire for the Institute is business casual.
Registration & Lodging:
Registration Information (INCLUDES lodging)
Register Now! Click Here to Register >>
* All rates are in US Dollars
Note: The Institute is designed for professionals who have been in Student Affairs for three or less years.
The registration fee includes dinner on Sunday, continental breakfast and lunch on Monday and Tuesday, refreshment breaks and all Institute materials.
Payment and Cancellation Policy
Registrations can be paid by check, VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. All fees must be prepaid. Purchase orders are not accepted. Refunds will be given for cancellations, received in writing at ACPA by June 5, 2015 less a $55 processing fee. After June 5, there are no refunds. ACPA reserves the right to charge a service fee of $20 for returned checks. A processing fee of $20 per registration will be charged for credit cards declined or to change payment methods after the initial payment is processed. Registrations are non-transferable. The Institute may be cancelled or postponed due to insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. In this case, the fees will be fully refunded; however, ACPA will not be responsible for other additional costs, charges or expenses, including cancellation/change charges assessed by airlines and/or travel agencies.
Information about lodging coming soon!