19–21 October 2020 // Online
The University of Vermont annually presents one of the nation’s premiere conferences focused on the diverse legal issues impacting all aspects of higher education. The University of Vermont will be offering the Legal Issues in Higher Education Conference in a fully online format during the fall of 2020. The conference will include multiple concurrent sessions, large plenary sessions, welcome reception, networking lunches and vendor area. Learn more by visiting the University of Vermont's website!
- The program features leading experts in Higher Education Law, Student Affairs and Campus Public Safety.
- Through interactive sessions, panel discussions and informal networking opportunities participants learn practical approaches to complex legal situations.
- Participants acquire the knowledge to implement best practices, policies and programs; and develop a network of peers to serve as connectors and advisors who continue to serve as a problem-solving resources after the conclusion of the conference.
Sessions include topics around:
- An Integrated Institutional Response to COVID-19
- Avoiding Bias, Confronting Stereotypes, and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Civility, Harassment and Hostile Environments
- COVID-19 In-Person or Virtual Requests for Accommodations: What You Need to Know
- COVID Response On Campus: Lessons Learned
- Creating a Wellness Environment (WE) to Promote Health and Reduce Risk
- Extremely Online Students: Recent Trends in Internet Speech and Harassment, and What Title IX (Might) Do About It
- Immigration and International Student Law Update
- Impacts of the 2020 Election on Higher Education
- In Loco Parentis
- Issues Surrounding Student Mental Health Following the Onset of COVID-19
- Minors on Campus
- Re-Imagining Safety, Security, and Law Enforcement In Educational Settings
- Speech and Civility on Campus
- Structuring an Informal Resolutions Process
- Supporting Suicidal Students
- The Clery Act and the Current Climate
- Title IX Effective Hearing Practices
- Title IX New Regulations and Implementation: Lessons Learned So Far