11 - 14 October 2020 | Baltimore, Maryland
The 14th annual Institute on the Curricular Approach (ICA), formerly the Residential Curriculum Institute (RCI), will challenge you to rethink the practices and grounding philosophies of student learning and student success beyond the classroom.
Through participation in the ACPA ICA, you will have the opportunity to:
- Explain the rationale for a Curricular Approach to learning beyond the classroom;
- Implement the 10 Essential Elements of a Curricular Approach;
- Develop the components of a curricular approach;
- Design, implement, and assess a curricular ;
- Effectively navigate organizational change related to shifting to a curricular approach
A Curricular Approach (CA) is a paradigm shift from traditional educational approaches to an intentional, developmentally sequenced one, defined by institutional mission and purpose. Staff members using a CA first identify clear learning goals and outcomes grounded in the history, culture, mission, and purpose of each institution. Then staff members identify student engagement strategies that can provide opportunities for students to achieve these learning goals and outcomes. Goals are sequenced, pedagogy rooted in scholarship of teaching and learning, and campus partners incorporated from throughout the institution. A CA uses assessment to inform a process of continuous improvement.