IMPORTANT NOTE (6/22/21)
Please check back in Early Fall 2021 for more information about 2022 Research Grant.
The Commission for Global Dimensions of Student Development within ACPA—College Student Educators International invites the submission of proposals for a research grant opportunity. One grant will be awarded, not to exceed $500. Applicants must currently be ACPA members, as well as members of the commission.
The award will be made for a one-year period, beginning September 1, 2019 – August 31, 2020. The deadline for electronic proposal submissions is August 1, 2019. Please review all of the details of grant proposals and process below. Proposals that do not strictly adhere to these guidelines may not be reviewed.
Purpose of Grant. The purpose of the grant is to fund innovative research projects that contribute to the body of knowledge about student affairs and/or higher education administration within an international context.
Eligibility. The principal investigator must be a member of ACPA as well as the Commission for Global Dimensions of Student Development.
Grant Award Period. Awards will be made for a one-year period September 1, 2019 – August 31, 2020.
Review Process. A review committee (approved by the CGDSD Directorate) will review proposals on the above criteria.
Proposals will be reviewed on the following criteria:
- Importance of the Study. Funding priority is given to research designs that reviewers deem have the greatest potential to generate important, unique, and meaningful results with clear implications for student affairs and/ or higher education in an international context.
- Feasibility and Design. Research designs should adhere to conventions of the methodology used, although no methodological tradition is given priority. Funding priority is given to research designs that reviewers deem have the greatest potential to generate important and meaningful results.
- Overall Clarity and Quality of Proposal. Proposals should adhere to the conventions of academic writing, use APA style, and be free from grammatical and typographical errors. Budgets must be fully developed and the intended use of funds should be clearly delineated.
- Alignment with ACPA Values. Proposals should explicitly communicate how the research aligns with the core values of ACPA as an organization (see: http://www.myacpa.org/values).
Indirect or Overhead Costs. The grant will not support indirect or overhead costs assessed by institutions.
Institutional Review Board Approval. Research involving human subjects must be approved by the institutional review board at the principal investigator’s home institution. Approval is not required at the time of submission but is required before research commences and funds are distributed.
Post-Grant Reporting Requirements. Upon completion of the study, recipients must submit an executive summary (maximum 1-2 pages) of the study and a summary of expenditures to the CGDSD Directorate. This report must be submitted by September 1, 2020. The executive summary will be posted to the CGDSD website. Researchers may be asked to present their findings in a Webinar sponsored by CGDSD. Researchers are also encouraged to submit a manuscript for review to the Journal of College Student Development and a proposal for a CGDSD sponsored session at the ACPA annual convention. If the study results in publication, CGDSD and ACPA should be acknowledged as a funder of the project. CGDSD and ACPA may also request to work with the principal investigator to aid in additional dissemination of findings from the research.
Grant Application. A complete proposal must contain all items detailed below.
- Title of the proposed study
- Name, title, institution, email, and phone of principal investigator
- Name, title, institution, email, and phone of co-investigator(s)
- Total amount requested
- Brief description of investigator experience related to the grant proposal (not to exceed 1 page)
- Project narrative (not to exceed 10 double-spaced pages)
- Abstract (150 words maximum)
- Introduction and literature review
- Purpose of the study
- Significance of the study and potential implications for policy/ practice
- Conceptual framework
- Research questions
- Methods (including methodology, sample, data collection, and data analysis procedures)
- References (references do not count toward the 10 page total, but should not exceed five pages; only references directly cited in the proposal should be included)
- Project timeline, including work already accomplished (not to exceed 2 pages)
- Detailed budget (not to exceed 3 pages)
- List items, expense justification, amount
- List other sources and amounts of funding
- Funding notes:
- The grant will not support indirect or overhead costs assessed by institutions, software, equipment, or travel not directly related to data collection
- Status of institutional review board (human subjects) approval
- Two page curriculum vitae for all investigators, including relevant publications, research experience, and prior grant funding
- Institutional review board application and approval or acknowledgement letter, if required for the study
- Instruments (e.g., survey or interview protocols), if applicable
Submission Guidelines. Proposals must be submitted electronically as a single PDF document, in the order listed above. Entries should be sent to Dr. Patty Witkowsky at [email protected] no later than August 1, 2019. Entries not prepared in this manner may not be considered for review. You will receive an email confirmation of the receipt of your entry and its eligibility. The reviewers reserve the right to make no award. The abstract of accepted proposals and executive summaries of completed projects will be posted to the CGDSD website.
Questions. Direct questions to:Dr. Patty Witkowsky Faculty in Residence, CGDSD
Assistant Professor and SAHE Program Coordinator, Leadership, Research, and Foundation (LRF) College of Education
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs [email protected]
Proposal guidelines adapted from NACADA and ACPA Professional Preparation Commission grant proposals.
Rev. 4/17/17, 11/14/2017